Need More Information?
Albany Truck Accident Lawyer
HURT IN A WRECK WITH AN 18-WHEELER? GET THE COMPENSATION YOU DESERVE
Were you — or a loved one — injured in a wreck with a big truck? Many times, these accidents result from truck drivers ignoring or violating safety laws.
When you’re in an accident with an 18-wheeler, it’s often caused by:
- Driver fatigue
- Poor or improper truck maintenance
- Overloaded or improperly secured cargo
- Drug or alcohol abuse
Big trucks can inflict big damage. And if you’ve been in a wreck caused by an 18-wheeler, you could be entitled to compensation for your injuries.
At James Trauring & Associates, LLC, our experienced personal injury attorneys will fight to get you what you deserve.
We’ll make sure to uncover the full extent of your injuries, so you don’t have to worry about surprises down the line.
For a free consultation on your case, contact us today.
What Kind of Damages Am I Entitled To?
Each case is different, but depending on the facts and evidence you present, you could be entitled to compensation for:
- Your medical bills and the cost of assistive devices, such as canes or wheelchairs
- Compensation for pain and suffering
- Lost wages or productivity at your job
- The cost to rehabilitate your injury
- Vehicle repair costs and rental car fees
- Punitive damages (this is rare, but can happen in extreme cases)
What Do I Do First When I’m Injured by an 18-Wheeler?
Follow these three steps:
1) Seek medical treatment.
For the sake of your own well-being, it’s important for you to get the help you need.
But it’s also important for your case. It establishes your condition after the accident.
2) If you’re physically able, photograph the scene and obtain contact information for any witnesses.
Or have a friend or family member do that.
Documenting the scene can help you make your case. If you wait to do it, key evidence might be gone.
3) Seek a knowledgeable and experienced attorney.
Don’t discuss any potential settlement with the trucking company or their insurance provider before you have your own lawyer review it.
How Are 18-Wheeler Claims Different from Other Auto Accidents?
Getting in an accident with a big truck is more complicated than a car accident, which is why it’s so important to get an experienced attorney.
Truck wrecks raise a lot of issues:
- Your injuries can be more severe, or cause more lasting harm, than a typical car crash. It’s important to get an attorney who knows what to look for.
- You could be up against multiple opposing parties (think driver, employer and possibly owner of the cargo). And all those people might be located in different states.
- The truck driver who hit you might have been driving for too long without breaks.
- Training and supervision for the driver might have been inadequate.
- The driver might be abusing drugs or alcohol.
- You might have been injured by hazardous cargo.
Trucking companies or their insurers will frequently try to pressure you into a quick settlement that isn’t to your benefit.
They’re big companies, looking to intimidate you into accepting less than you deserve.
They’ll have their lawyers. Make sure you have yours, too.
Your Case Affects Your Future
There are many parts to a truck wreck case. And your case is unique.
The collision you suffered has a serious impact on your life. That shouldn’t be taken lightly.
Before you talk to anyone else, talk to us at James Trauring & Associates.